If you love winter sports, you really should visit Sundown Mountain in Dubuque, Iowa this season. With challenging snowboarding and skiing terrain to suit all abilities, and 21 trails ranging over 85 acres of pristine countryside amid beautiful cedar trees, Sundown Mountain is one of the best Midwest ski resorts. In fact, it’s been awarded the NSA Award of Excellence – the only Midwest resort to have one!
For those who enjoy something a little gentler there are painting classes, hiking trails and a kids club all set within views of three states and the awe-inspiring Mississippi River Valley. There's plenty going on for all the family to enjoy and many special events are planned including for Valentine's weekend! Check out the full list of up and coming events on the website.
Sundown Mountain facilities
- Sundown Mountain ski resort offers: 21 ski runs, 2 terrain parks, 4 ski lifts and 2 conveyor carpets.
- There are two mountain top lodges with stunning views of 100 square miles of open countryside.
- For keen skiers there’s a vertical drop of 475 feet through delightfully scenic cedar trees.
- A total of 21 trails are offered for beginner, intermediate and advanced levels.
- Two terrain parks are offered complete with progressive, challenging features.
- The resort is fully equipped with snow-making and grooming equipment so that the slopes and terrain are kept immaculate at all times.
- For those who are new to winter sports or perhaps a little rusty, ski and snowboard lessons with highly qualified and enthusiastic resort staff are available catering for all ages and abilities. Lessons are available for families, groups of friends or privately if you prefer.
Hours and prices
The resort slopes are open:
Monday to Friday - 10am until 9pm
Saturday - 9am until 9pm
Sunday 9am until 8pm
Hours can vary and there are special opening times during holiday periods.
Full details of opening hours and prices can be found on the Sundown Mountain website.
Image source: FindThe Best