Friday, April 6, 2018, will mark this year’s Empty Bowls event for the Northeast Iowa Food Bank. The goal of the event is to raise awareness and educate the community on the issue of hunger. In addition to enjoying a meal and receiving a symbolic bowl, supporters will also have the opportunity to take part in the silent and live auctions and a raffle. The silent auction begins at 6:00 p.m. The event will take place at the Five Sullivan Brothers Convention Center in Waterloo.
Tickets for the event are just $25 and all dollars raised will go to support the Northeast Iowa Food Bank and the over 46,440 individuals who are served by the food bank in northeast Iowa. With the purchase of a ticket, participants will receive a meal of soup and bread and also a handcrafted bowl to keep as a symbol of hunger in our area. The $25 tickets also provide the opportunity to participate in both of the auctions.
The Northeast Iowa Food Bank in Waterloo, IA, carries out its mission through five programs:
- Member Agency Distribution Program: Provides food and grocery products to qualified nonprofit organizations in sixteen Northeast Iowa counties.
- Cedar Valley Food Pantry: Provides food and grocery products to about 2,700 households, on a monthly basis, in Black Hawk County.
- Kids Cafe: An after-school meal program that not only provides a meal or snack for children but it is also a safe place to go after school. Through this program, more than 47,000 meals and snacks were served last year to children at nine Black Hawk County locations.
- Backpack Program: Works in collaboration with schools in sixteen counties to provide backpacks of food to children in need. Last year, 128,000 backpacks were distributed across Northeast Iowa.
- Elderly Nutrition Program: This program provides supplemental food boxes and weekend bags to 1,300 seniors. Last year, over 21,500 food boxes and bags were distributed each month through this program.
To purchase a ticket, please visit the Northeast Iowa Food Bank website or call 319-235-0507.