If you’re looking for ways to celebrate your mom, Grandma, or other beloved maternal figures in your life, Sioux City’s got your back! Mother’s Day this year is on Sunday, May 12th. While all moms vary in their preferences of how to be spoiled, here are some of the fun ways you could celebrate your mom in Siouxland this May:
Feed Your Mom
Moms love eating delicious food without having to cook or clean to do so (who doesn’t?). In Sioux City, there are loads of tasty options including:
- Bring Jitters donuts (pictured at top) home for a cheerful breakfast in bed she’s sure to love.
- Take mom to brunch at Minerva’s for a smorgasbord of gourmet fare, from hearty omelets and prime rib to delicate pastries and waffles.
- Enjoy a riverfront lunch with mom at Crave with sushi, poke bowls, burgers, chicken, and more.
- Treat mom to an elegant pasta dinner at M’s on 4th Street with lots of ambiance (and an extensive wine list.)
Have fun with Mom
Moms love spending time with their family! Depending on the personality of your mom, here are some of the ways she might love hanging out with you this May:
- Admire the art at the Sioux City Art Center and the sculptures scattered throughout downtown Sioux City.
- Stroll through antique stores in downtown Sioux City to buy some art (or furniture!) of her own.
- Ride a bike along the banks of the Missouri River
- Have a picnic lunch at the Grandview Park Rose Garden
Send mom off for some alone time to take care of herself in a special way, or go with her for fun bonding time! There are lots of Sioux City places to get pampered, including:
- The Iowa School of Beauty--don’t let the name scare you away, because the students are well supervised and have always done excellent work in my experience. The ISB in Sioux City offers haircuts, hair color, manicures, facials, and more!
- Bespoke Salon in downtown Sioux City is one of the hottest places in Siouxland for upscale, on-trend hair that will give the other moms serious hair envy.
- 5 Star Nails and Pinky’s are two favorite mani-pedi stops for stylish local moms.
Moms love when their family shows their appreciation for their love and hard work, and one way to do that can be a fun gift! Some of the options at locally owned stores in Sioux City include:
- Candy from Palmer’s Old Tyme Candy Shoppe, like Bings, chocolate covered nuts, gourmet truffles.
- A book from Book People (and time to relax and read it while you do some of her chores if you want to be the favorite)
- Something sparkly (maybe with kids’ birthstones?) from Jacobsma Jewelry
- Something you make yourself at the Sioux City Art Center’s “Mother’s Day Surprise” workshop on May 11th!
However you want to celebrate Mom, and whatever your budget, there's probably a Sioux City option that will fit your plans for the day and make it extra special. For more family-friendly fun in Siouxland, visit SiouxlandFamilies.com
To all of the moms, grandmas, great-grandmas, aunts, sisters, and other amazing female role models who helped make us who we are, in Siouxland and beyond: Happy Mother’s Day!
Image credit: Lindsay Hindman