It's time to get out and enjoy September in Iowa with friends and family! Add these five can’t-miss events to your calendar!
1. Iowa Stock 2017: All Iowa Music & Art Fair, St. Charles (September 1-4)
More than 1,000 Iowa-based musicians will be showcased at the first Iowa Stock event at the Avenue of Saints Ampitheater. The four-day festival includes opera, heavy metal, country, jazz, blues, folk, rap, rock and more on eight stages.
2. Southwest Iowa Hot Air Balloon Days, Creston (September 15-17)
More than 40 balloons participate in races throughout the weekend. Activities also include a parade, marching band contest, arts and crafts fair, food booths and a balloon night glow.
3. UCI World Cup of Cyclo-cross, Iowa City (September 16-17)
Professional and amateur athletes from around the world will compete on technical and hilly circuits, sometimes requiring them to carry their bikes over sections. The event will be televised in Europe.
4. Tri City BBQ Fest, Denison (September 22-23)
Sanctioned by the Kansas City Barbeque Society, the event pits three metros (Des Moines and Sioux City, Iowa, and Omaha, Nebraska) against each other for bragging rights for the best barbeque and bands.
5. 62nd annual Southwest Iowa Band Jamboree, Clarinda (September 30)
The city's longest running event draws more than 50 high school and middle school bands from Iowa, Missouri and Nebraska. The bands are judged in both parade and field marching. A free parade of bands starts at 9 a.m.
For more events or to submit an event, visit TravelIowa.com/calendar.