Baseball, beer, and balloons, oh my! Check out this month's amazing events for a wide variety of options for family fun.
1. Field of Dreams Ghost Sundays, Dyersville (July 1) The world-famous Ghost Players return with laughter, dancing, music, a bit of baseball, pranks and wholesome family fun. The free 90-minute "greatest show on dirt" starts at 1 p.m. [Ghost Sundays run every other week through August 12.]
2. Lake Red Rock Balloon Fest, Pella (July 6-8) Enjoy the sight of hot air balloons as they fly over scenic Lake Red Rock. Other activities include a beach party, fun run, contests, a pancake breakfast and more. Most events are family-friendly and free.
3. Bike and Hike Weekend, Amana Colonies (July 14-15) Millstream Brewery's Tour de Brew is the centerpiece of the weekend but there are hiking and biking trails for every age and ability level. Three biking events and seven walking routes are planned.
4. RAGBRAI XLVI, Statewide (July 22-28) The oldest, largest and longest bicycling touring event in the world begins at the Missouri River, travels 400+ miles across the state and ends at the Mississippi River. This year's overnight towns: Onawa, Denison, Jefferson, Ames, Newton, Sigourney, Iowa City and Davenport.
5. Sloppy Science at LaunchPAD Children's Museum, Sioux City (July 29) Bring a towel and an extra set of clothes as kids may get wet, slimed or splattered! Activities include sling shot paint toss, slimy crawl, water balloon scoot, muddy tire run, baggie burst volcanoes, bubble wrap slime and fire truck water fights.
Can't make it to any of these? No problem! See our complete list of Iowa events here!
Image credit: Field of Dreams Ghost Sundays, Dyersville