Not many travelers plan their bucket list items in winter – but Iowa City and its Curious Communities are not your average weekend destination. Here are just a few of our favorite winter experiences that may be just the thing to warm your spirits this time of year.
1. After a fresh snow, cross-country ski at Coralville’s Creekside Cross. Tucked away on the west side of Coralville off Highway 6, this spacious course is a fantastic recreation area. It’s also free to visit – whether you end up enjoying the outdoors for an hour or an entire afternoon.
2. Enjoy a flick at FilmScene, downtown’s non-profit cinema. This four-year-old, intimate two-screen cinema showcases documentaries, independent films and lesser-known films, playing over 300 films per year.
3. Savor the richness of a winter beer at a local brewery. Reunion Brewery, Backpocket Brewing and Kalona Brewing Company just south of town offer seasonal brews often paired with specific menu items. You might even catch some live music during your visit.
4. Walk along the footbridge just south of Hancher Auditorium at dusk to see it light up the night sky. With the Iowa River running below you, this majestic-looking building takes the spotlight.
5. Pick up a warm cup of coffee from the cafe in the upper level of Prairie Lights Books and take window seat, realizing you share the very space that welcomed the local literary society, including writers Carl Sandburg, Robert Frost, Langston Hughes and others, in the 1930’s. You might just find some inspiration yourself.
Think Iowa City for a winter weekend away. For more ideas or create a list of your own within these curious communities, visit ThinkIowacity.com.