What’s better than free?
The Dickinson County Nature Center offers a variety of free, quality programming for all ages each summer and throughout the year.
Hike the Wild
Explore the great outdoors with family and friends during the monthly Hike the Wild programs that take place at public areas throughout Dickinson County. Each event features a special theme, some eve encourage people to stay after the hike for even more fun.
Meet at 9:30 a.m. Tuesday, May 26, at the Dickinson County Nature Center and then caravan to Elinor Bedell State Park in Spirit Lake. Fish lovers will have fun at the 9:30 a.m. Tuesday, June 23, there's an event at Westport Park south of Milford. Take a hike around the pond and then stay afterward to try your luck fishing. Bring a picnic lunch for the perfect day.
July features two events, one on the regularly scheduled fourth Tuesday of the month at 9:30 a.m. at Cayler Prairie and an additional full moon hike 8 p.m. Friday, July 31, at Kenue Park. Enjoy a beautiful view of the park in the light of the setting sun.
The hikes scheduled for the rest of 2015 include:
- 9:30 a.m. Aug. 25: Ainsworth-Orleans Beach, Spirit Lake Hatchery tour and picnic
- 9:30 a.m. Sept. 22: Pillsbury Point and Abbie Gardner Cabin tour
- 9:30 a.m. Oct. 27: Fort Defiance State Park --- Fall Colors
- 3 p.m. Nov. 25: Wildwood Nature Reserve --- Native Thanksgiving
- 3 p.m. Dec. 23: Kenue Park --- Winter Survival
Nature Playtime for Tots
Sometimes it’s difficult to keep a toddler entertained, so let us help! Toddlers ages 2-5 are invited to attend the Nature Playtime for Tots program with a parent or guardian 10:30 a.m. the second Wednesday of each month at the nature center.
Tots are making memories and learning while they go for walks outside to see prairie flowers, build squirrel feeders or sing songs about nature. The topics for the summer include:
- 10:30 a.m. June 10: Pretty Plants
- 10:30 a.m. July 8: Look Up!
- 10:30 a.m. Aug. 5: Fluttering Friends
- 10:30 a.m. Sept. 9: F.B.I. (Fungus, Bacteria and Invertebrates)
- 10:30 a.m. Oct. 14: Awesome Autumn
- 10:30 a.m. Nov. 10*: Fossil Fun
- 10:30 a.m. Dec. 9: Stories in the Snow
Keep your 6- to 9-year-olds’ brains active this summer by participating in the fun and educational Nature Explorers programs June-August. Enjoy some time in the sun and some time exploring the nature center each month.
- 10 a.m. June 11: Plant Power
- 10 a.m. July 23: Winged Wonders
- 10 a.m. Aug. 6: Butterfly Adventure
If your son or daughter is dreaming of becoming a naturalist, or if they just enjoy being outdoors, send them to the monthly Young Naturalists program this summer. Kids ages 10-12 will have a ball playing in the dirt, studying birds and going on a caterpillar hunt.
- 1 p.m. June 11: Green Thumbers
- 1 p.m. July 23: Amazing Aves
- 1 p.m. Aug. 6: Caterpillar Count
For more information about all of Dickinson County Nature Center’s offerings, visit our website or call 712-336-6352.