It's fair season in Iowa! The Iowa State Fair held each summer in Des Moines is known as one of the best in the entire nation, but Iowa is also home to many excellent county fairs! The Woodbury County Fair definitely fits that bill. The Woodbury County Fair has been providing summer fun to Northwest Iowa families and visitors since 1930, and that tradition is still going strong. The 2017 Woodbury County Fair will be held on August 2nd-August 6th at the fairgrounds in Moville, just under a half hour drive east from downtown Sioux City. At the 2017 Woodbury County Fair, there will be live animals, live music, fair food, and tons of other attractions. While there is too much fun happening to list every exciting thing at the Woodbury County Fair, here are my top 12 reasons (in no particular order) to visit the 2017 Woodbury County Fair:
1. Grandstand events like the Ranch Rodeo on August 3rd including ranch penning, single muggin', trailer loading and arena racing
2. Farm animals, including pony rides and a petting zoo
4. Bill Riley Talent Search featuring fabulous local talent with divisions for kids and adults
5. Exciting animals from the Gator Encounter and the Great Plains Zoomobile
6. Family friendly performances from a hypnotist, a magician, and a balloon animal artist
7. Competitors showing off how much their tractors can haul when they try Tractor Pulling
8. Old Town activities including crafts, sack races, frog racing and other classic fair fun
9. Cute kids testing their chops riding sheep in the Mutton Busting event (pun intended)
10. Exhibits from Woodbury County competitors ranging from classics like quilts, pies, corn, and pigs to more unique and modern categories like Lego creations, scrapbook pages, and ugly cake decorating!
11. Carnival games and rides lighting up the Midway
12. Funnel cake, barbecue, roasted corn, and tons of other hot fresh food from vendors and exhibitors waiting to delight your taste buds, plus a pie eating contest!
Whether you're most interested in rodeos, carnival rides, fried food, livestock, sack race, live music, or tractor pulls, if you like fairs, you will have a blast at the 2017 Woodbury County Fair!
Admission to the Woodbury County Fair is $5 for adults and $1 for children, or $12 for a membership/season pass and $2 for a youth exhibitor pass (some rides and activities have additional fees.) There is also special pricing on August 3rd for Kids Day at the Woodbury County Fair and all kids under 11 get in free, and ride wristbands are only $20, and on August 4th Senior citizens, veterans, and active duty military get in free.
For more information about the 2017 Woodbury County Fair, you can visit the Woodbury County Fair on their website, Instagram feed, or Facebook page. For dates, locations, and highlights for other 2017 county fairs in the Sioux City area, visit the Siouxland Families Blog 2017 Fair Roundup.