Kalona is an Iowa city located in Washington County and is known as the “Quilt Capital of Iowa.” A large number of Amish and Mennonites reside in this unique Midwest community. The streets in Kalona are lined with both automobiles and Amish buggies. Many of the shops carry Amish and Mennonite handcrafted items. These five unique shops in Kalona are excellent stops for holiday shopping.
- JK Creative Wood and Gifts: JK Creative Wood and Gifts is located on 105th Street. The shop is owned by Joel and Karma Brokaw and four of their seven children. Woodworking skills have been passed down through six generations of the Brokaw family. One family member is a gifted lathe artisan, while another designs cutting boards and a third adds a personal touch to the wood items. The financials, production and gallery displays are all handled by family members. Heirloom Amish furniture crafted by family members is sold in the shop. Visitors may custom order pieces and select wood, stain, design and style.
- Kalona Bakery: The bakery, located on 5th Street, is known for delicious homemade cinnamon rolls and fresh doughnuts. The aroma of homemade apple and pumpkin pies fill the bakery. Take home a pie or two for the holidays. The bakery also sells sandwiches that are great to pack for the trip back home.
- Pebble Patch Designs: Pebble Patch Designs, located on Avenue B, specializes in home décor and clothing items. The works of numerous artisans are sold throughout the shop. Many of the items are created by the Amish. Homemade quilts, knitted and crocheted hats, slippers and scarves, embroidered and printed flour sack kitchen towels and stuffed animals are displayed throughout the store.
- The Village Shoppe: The Village Shoppe is located on Avenue B. The store is known for quality custom framing and home décor pieces. Beautiful gift items such as jewelry, scarves and purses are on display throughout the shop. Artwork, quilts and other custom pieces are available.
- Willow Creek Quilting and Gifts: Located on Avenue B, Willow Creek Quilting and Gifts, specializes in homemade quilted comforters. The store sells a lot of make-your-own kits for quilts, purses and other gift items. Homemade gifts are gifts from the heart. Sewing fabrics are available by the yard.
(Photo is courtesy of Two Cultures Waiting for a Green Light as uploaded by Tony Fischer at Flickr’s Creative Commons.)