On the first weekend of September, the Sioux City Art Center transforms Riverside Park into a celebration of all things creative. From simple kids crafts to fine art from some of the region's sculptors, painters, and many other artists, ArtSplash 2017 has it all!
Here’s what you can expect at Artsplash:
Music will include live performances from:
- Divas Through the Decades, a trio that sings pop songs from the 1940’s to today, complete with fun wardrobe changes and smooth harmonies, Saturday, Sept 2nd at 1 pm.
- The Big Bad Cash Band, a Johnny Cash and classic country tribute band, Saturday, Sept 2nd at 3 pm.
- The Sioux Empire Swing Kings bring jazz, rock, and soul on Sunday, Sept 3rd at 1 pm.
- Titans of Industry, Sunday, Sept 3rd at 3 pm.
Artpslash visitors will enjoy the Engage the Community are,a with fun games and activities from community organizations like the Launchpad Sioux City Childrens Museum, Sioux City Symphony, Junior League, Sioux City Public Library, Humane Society, Sierra Club, and more.
A kids zone including inflatables, crafts, games, performances on the kid's stage, and other fun activities for youth will be a highlight of ArtSplash 2017. For more details on the 2017 ArtSplash Kids Zone, check out the Siouxland Families Blog.
Hungry art lovers will enjoy food vendors including pizza, funnel cake, coffee, kettle corn, and other classic carnival and food truck fare.
2017 Signature Artist
Each year ArtSplash chooses a signature artist to feature, and this year’s choice is Andrew Johnson from Kansas City. Johnson specializes in embroidery digitizing, a cool mixed media technique using computer graphics, an embroidery machine, acrylic paints, and hand oiled frames. Johnson says people describe his style as “whimsy, stitchy, color, happy, and fun.” You can read more about Johnson and see more of his art on his website.
Additional Artists Dozens of other artists from around the region will also be at ArtSplash. You can find the complete list on the Sioux City Art Center Artsplash website, but the Iowa artists who will be there this year include:
- Chris Abigt from Ottumwa
- Randy Birocci from Hinton
- Joel and Karma Brokaw from Kalona
- Daniel Cunningham from Sioux City
- Bob Decker from Wapello
- Chaeli Hanna-Kohn from Sioux City
- Darcy Horn from Red Oak
- Jacque Hudson from Des Moines
- Rose Inman from Sioux City
- Ernest Koch from Fort Dodge
- Gregory Macdonald from Council Bluffs
- Mona Majorowicz from Rolfe
- Greg Meyerdirk from Harris
- Judith Miller from Clear Lake
- Sean Miller from Washington
- Reagan Nissen-Eubank from Red Oak
- Susanne Rodriguez from Sioux City
- Ruben Ruiz from Huxley
- Stephen Schwiesow from Council Bluffs
- Cindy Skeie from http://www.traveliowa.com/aspx/cities.aspx?cid=732\">Windsor Heights
- Jacob Van Wyk from Ireton
- Chris Vance from Bondurant
- Annette VanMeter from Sioux City
- Jim Vermeer from Humboldt
- Richard Wright from Des Moines
ArtSplash 2017 will be Saturday, September 2nd from10 am to 6 pm and Sunday, September 3rd from 10am to 5pm at Riverside Park, at 1301 Riverside Blvd in Sioux City. Admission is free for those 11 or younger and $5 for each person 12 or older.
For more information on Sioux City ArtSplash, visit the Sioux City Art Center website.