Fall can be one of the prettiest seasons in a year, especially if we are lucky and have a long one with days full of sunshine. Here are a few of my recommendations for spots to visit:
- Decorah: A few days ago, I traveled to Decorah, Iowa. Traveling across Highway 20 showed brilliant reds, especially along the river at Iowa Falls. Decorah’s architecture is so unique – it’s like being in a different state. I paid special attention to the use of limestone in their older buildings.
- Lansing: In my opinion, Lansing offers one of the most stunning views in Iowa. This breathtaking view is found atop a bluff overlooking the Mississippi River. It’s a view that a photo doesn’t do justice to – so you must stop to see it in person. While in Lansing, I found myself at dam and lock number 10 – a great spot for some eagle watching.
- Sioux City: A Kahill’s stop with a table overlooking the Missouri River is another great spot to watch eagles hunt. On my last visit, a friend and I got to watch an eagle swoop down, hit the water and emerge with, what I believed to be, a catfish. It was a spectacular show. I’d also recommend the ATV trails along the Missouri – they are both relaxing and challenging.
- Loess Hills: One of the most breathtaking treasures we have in Iowa are the Loess Hills. The serenity, awe and amazement that driving through the hills brings is a feeling I’ll never forget.
We are blessed with a lot of beautiful and historic venues in our state. We just need to remember and visit them.
- Charese Yanney of Sioux City is owner and managing partner of Guarantee Roofing, Siding and Insulations Co. She serves on the Iowa Department of Transportation Commission, the Iowa Economic Development Authority Vision Iowa Board, the Missouri River Historical Development Board and the Siouxland Initiative Executive Committee.