Hotel Pattee is on the National Register of Historic Places, and for good reason. Check out eight of its finest secrets:
- The standard maximum time big box hotels allow housekeepers to clean a standard room is nine minutes. Fifteen minutes is the norm at Hotel Pattee, and much more in a suite. The place is immaculate from top to bottom.
- Sixty local farmers and small business owners stepped up to invest in the hotel after it failed not once but twice. They knew exactly what they had been missing: an owner - move the family to Perry, Iowa - operator.
- Jay Hartz and his wife Denise are the real deal. Genuine, warm, smart people. The kind people who help their young staff with college applications. The kind of people you can't wait to get back there to see.
- Over 7,000 rooms were filled during Jay's first year of operation (2014) and a wedding took place there nearly every weekend! The hotel makes for an incredible bicycle trip with easy access to great trails - there is even a full service bike shop at the hotel!
- They really have it going on with leisure travelers and live music every weekend. The hotel also has tremendous weekday business appeal for retreats and meetings - just a 30 minutes commute from Des Moines.
- The restaurant is fantastic. For lunch have the cod sandwich - to die for. For dinner the steak with a spinach salad. Dessert? Cupcakes on site from La Mie. Look for their new food truck on the High Trestle Trail too!
- This hotel is one of the few historic boutique design hotels in the country where every single room is different, completely different. So different you'll think you are in a different hotel each time you stay.
- Hotel Pattee has a cool bowling alley, tricked out spa, a ballroom for events and a great bar. It's likely the most affordable luxury boutique hotel in the Midwest, a must on your list of cool things to do in Iowa!
Photo courtesy: Flickr Creative Commons