There’s mischief brewing this Halloween and you won’t want to miss it. Here are ten exciting events that are sure to be a howlin’ good time!
- Pumpkin Express Train in Boone: Ride the Pumpkin Express Train to the Boone & Scenic Valley Railroad’s Pumpkin Patch where you can collect your very own pumpkin! Train rides are available on October 10, 13, 14, and 17.
- Iowa Arboretum Pumpkin Carving: Check out the Iowa Arboretum in Madrid, on Thursday, October 15, and test your pumpkin carving skills. You can also enjoy a delicious dinner that will feature a hot bowl of chili, a warm piece of cornbread and a cool dessert. All pumpkins will be displayed during the Arboretum’s annual Halloween events.
- Ar-“Boo”-ween: Bring your favorite superhero or princess and join the parade of activities and treats at the Iowa Arboretum on Saturday, October 17. Scarecrows and pumpkins will be decorated for the holiday and there will also be hayrides, the hay maze, games, and more at this fun family event.
- Ar-“Boo”-scare: As the sun sets over Madrid's Iowa Arboretum on Saturday, October 17, the Halloween Ar “Boo” scare event begins! Darkness, sounds of time past and hidden surprises set the stage for Halloween night. Walk the “No Return Hidden Trail” and ride the “Hayride to the Valley of Darkness.” Bring a flashlight, wear a costume, and enjoy the cool night air. Look for carved pumpkins, scarecrows, and lots of treats and treasures during this event!
- Halloween Hides and Creepy Caches: Why not check out what they're up to in Ames? This geocache hunt is like no other! Combining the fun of geocaching, with the spirit of the season, the pursuit has turned nocturnal! Join Story County Conservation group on Friday, October 23 and explore the origins of Halloween while learning how to use a GPS. Experience McFarland Park after dark and enjoy finding hidden jack-o-lanterns throughout the park. Space is limited, so be sure to register your group early! The Story County Conservation recommends that groups do not exceed 10 people.
- Trick-Or-Treat Night at the Park: On Saturday, October 24, make sure you have your costume and best jokes ready for a night of trick-or-treating at Hickory Grove Park in Story County! All participating campsites will be marked with little jack-o’-lanterns. Click here for more information.
- Spirits in the Garden: Scare is in the air as Reiman Gardens’ Spirits in the Gardens event returns on Saturday, October 24! Children attending this event will have free access to the Gardens and will enjoy trick-or-treating, free popcorn, crafts, games and many other Halloween activities! All are welcome to join in the spooky fun by attending in costume!
- Ghost Stories of Iowa State: Join University Museums on Thursday, October 29, for an evening of historic and haunted stories about Iowa State University and discover who may be haunting your lecture hall!
- Annual Halloween Costume Party: Come out to Snus Hill in Madrid on Saturday, October 31 for the Annual Halloween Costume Party! There will be live music, prizes, and surprises, so be sure to come dressed in your best and most creative costume! You must be 21 or older to attend this event.
- Trick-Or-Treating On Main: The friendly businesses in Downtown Ames enjoy a little fun and getting to know the community, so dress up in your funniest or most creative costume and trick-or-treat down Main Street! The event will take place on Friday, October 30.
Don't forget to check your local community calendars for your community's official night of trick-or-treating.
These are just a few of the spook-tacular events happening in the month of October in Iowa! Have a fun and safe Halloween!