It’s the season for all things frightening as everyone gears up for Halloween night. To get in the mood you might be watching scary movies, creating a costume, visiting pumpkin patches, or participating in a yearly tradition of eating terrifyingly large amounts of candy before the trick-or-treaters arrive. But, nothing gets you in the Halloween spirit more than a haunted tour, or visiting a real haunted house.
Sara, a veteran in visiting spooky spots, intrigued us with her blog post earlier this week describing her top five most memorable haunted places. All over Iowa you can find areas that are allegedly haunted and tours of said spooky spots. Here’s a list of haunted walking tours you can add to Sara’s list of haunted locations. Who knows, some of these spooky places might be in your neighborhood.
Haunted Tours in Iowa
- Sherman Hill, Des Moines. The oldest neighborhood in Des Moines, this area is known for spooky thing happening and is featured in this month’s Downtown Living Magazine.
- The Mason House Inn B&B, Bentonsport. The B&B hosts ghost hunting classes at different times throughout the year. Next class available November 9-10.
- Villisca Axe Murder House, Villisca. The house is said to be one of the most haunted places in America! Tours available during the day or overnight.
These additional five haunted locations are rich in history and boast great information. Take your family! These historical tours offer little bit of spooky, without traumatizing the kids.
- Porter House Museum, Decorah
- Jordan House, West Des Moines
- Granger House, Marion
- Historic General Dodge House, Council Bluffs
- Squirrel Cage Jail, Council Bluffs
Below are additional resources to help you find haunted locations in your corner of the state.
Are you ready to go ghost hunting yet? Hopefully these resources have inspired you to go on your own spine-chilling Iowa adventure. What haunted locations do you know of? Have you visited any of these locations before? Are there any other tours we left out? Share your stories! Just be sure not to upset the spirits.